Are you ready for an online course?
Students thinking about taking online courses should consider what it means to be an online student before deciding to take an online course. The benefits of taking an online course may seem obvious, but you will want to make sure that you will be able to successfully complete the course requirements.
Success with USF St. Petersburg's online courses requires a different set of skills than those used in traditional face-to-face teaching. You must be self-paced, self-controlled and diligent about your coursework. You also must have access to a computer that is robust enough to be able to access the course materials, and you must have Internet access.
If you are ready for online learning, you'll:
- Have a computer that meets technical requirements and a reliable Internet connection.
- Be comfortable with the basic computer skills (word processing, Internet search, attachment, sending/receiving e-mail, file management, upload and download).
- Know how to interact online with fellow students to complete group projects.
- Know how to meet assignment deadlines.
- Be able to express your ideas and questions in writing.
- Know how to find and use online help.
- Spend approximately 10 or 15 hours of study time per week for each course.
If you meet all the above statements, you are likely to do just fine. Online learning is not more difficult, or less effective, it's simply different. Once you get used to 'attending class' from your home, the computer lab or library, you may find the overall experience to be even more rewarding than face-to-face classes.
Students with disabilities
Distance Learning and Instructional Media Services strives to ensure that both our website and the courses created with support from our office are accessible to all, including individuals with disabilities. To report an inaccessible feature, please contact Karla Kmetz at 727-873-4474. For assistance with specific accommodations; please visit the Office of Student Disability Services website (727-873-4990 or 873-4837)